[ltp] Re: Thinkpad battery exhausted in less than a year?

Martin Gramatke linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:39:30 +0100

Patrick Huber wrote:

> Try to get a warranty replacement.

Hi Patrick,

I tried, but no luck. I need a one year and a week warranty.

> ..., and that I did the 3 cycles
> of discharge and charge as explained here:

I did a full discharge and as far as I can see it was getting worse. Afaik
this total discharge is to avoid the so called memory effect of NiMH
batteries but is no longer useful with Li-Ion. But ok, I will try that 3
cycle thing, nothing to lose.

>> How long do your batteries last?

>... I'm told by "acpi -V" that the
> battery lasts something near 4hrs.

What is that "acpi" tool? I don't have it on my gentoo installation. Does it
also tell you the actual number of charge cycles?

Well what I wanted to ask, is the lifetime of your battery before you have
to buy a new one.

> I don't think you're doing something wrong. I leave the system on power if
>  I can. I disconnect it overnight unless it needs to be charged.

Do you leave the system on power even if the battery is full? That is
different of what I do. I disconnect if full.

> Don't forget to consider this too:
> 10.8V * 4Ah = 43.2Wh
> 14.4V * 1.7Ah = 24.48Wh

Good point. Thanks.

> I don't think there's more information available. I guess most of the data
> shown there comes directly from the battery.

Under windows you can get much much more details about the battery. Hard to
believe this should not be possible with linux.

regards
Martin