[ltp] Re: Thinkpad battery exhausted in less than a year?

Hamie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 21:54:12 +0000

Brian Beattie wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 13:53, Martin Gramatke wrote:
>

>>Brian Beattie wrote:
>>

>>>it is best to be plugged in when ever power os available.
>>>

>>Hello Brian,
>>
>>I will try that, thanks.
>>
>>Meanwhile I had a phone call with IBM. They adviced me to remove the battery
>>when the notebook is plugged in and in use. I should charge the battery
>>only when the notebook is off. This is quite impractical. They also told me
>>to do a total discharge every now and then.
>>I can not believe that this is the right way, because I have never heard
>>from other notebook users that they mount/dismount their battery all the
>>time. The battery is also important to give the notebook a better stand.
>>

>hmmmmmm, I wonder if that is just the local "tech" making things up, or
>if that advice comes from engineering, I suspect that is just the local
>"tech guy" making stuf up based on old information.  There is no count

Actually the battery DOES count cycles... I know Linux ACPI doesn't show
it, but if you boot under Windoze, you do see the cycle count. They
reckon about 300 cycles for Li-Ion batteries. And also about 3 years
from new to nearly dead. (Li-Ion are pretty consistent).

As far as mini-cycles go, the battery itself won't charge until the
change in the battery goes below about 95%.

As far as personal experience goes, I leave mine in all the time... And
use suspend to RAM a lot. (Every day on my R50, 50:50 with hibernation
on my old a20p). My last battery lastes 3.5 years. The laptop itself
dies (Cracked case). The battery still had about 50% of design capacity
at full change.