[ltp] Re: Thinkpads can not boot from flash drive?

Martin Gramatke linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 00:23:49 +0100

Joel Ebel wrote:

> I develop a USB distribution on my Thinkpad T40.
> (http://www.ncsu.edu/project/runt)  So the T40 definitely supports it.

Yes, I read about Runt at www.distrowatch.com. Seems to be a very nice
thing. As far as I can see, Runt has very different scope than DSL.
Runt is slackware based. It has a good selection of network tools.

DSL is very small (50MB), knoppix based (hardware plug 'n play), comes with
X, a desktop (fluxbox), an office paket, internet browsers and much more.
It is also expandable by some binarys (DSL homebrew), so you can install
firefox for example if you have the performance and space.

I made a friend happy with a DSL installation on his very very old computer.
He had only some spare windows experience, now he enjoys his first linux
box. Windows and any other Linux fails to be installed on that i486 machine
with only 64MB RAM. But DSL let it fly again.

But I have never tried Runt now, I will have to change that!

>   You can also boot from a floppy, CDROM or hard drive but still mount
> the root filesystem on the pen drive.

Yes, actually I copied the DSL kernel and initrd file to the boot partition
of my harddrive and convinced grub to use it and root on the pen drive. I
think I can improve that by directing grub directly to the kernel and
initrd on sda1. Is it (hd1,0)?

Martin