[ltp] Re: Thinkpads can not boot from flash drive?

Martin Gramatke linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 00:45:10 +0100

Joel Ebel wrote:

> so make sure the drive
> is set up properly.

My pen drive is a Data Traveler by Kingston. I used a tool from Dell to
prepare/format the stick. Two different desktop computers can boot from it
but not the Thinkpad X24. Could it still be a pen drive setup problem? I
thought it has to be a thinkpad problem then.

> You need a goot master boot record at the beginning
> of the drive. You can get one from the syslinux package.

I think DSL uses syslinux for installation.

> With a 128 MB drive, you
> most likely don't have any of these restrictions with the possible
> exception of it being formatted FAT32, which is still unlikely.

Here is my geometry: 8 heads, 32 sectors/track, 982 cylinders. One primary,
bootable partition with FAT16. I think it is ok.

The notebook boots from a USB floppy drive without problem.

> Best of luck.  I have a lot of experience with this from desiging my own
> distribution to do it, so if you have any questions, let me know.

Thank you Joel, I appreciate your help.
The best test would be a Runt installation.

Martin