[ltp] Re: Thinkpads can not boot from flash drive?

Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:53:53 -0500

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 00:45:10 +0100, Martin Gramatke <xmit@gmx.de> wrote:
> Joel Ebel wrote:
>
> > so make sure the drive
> > is set up properly.
>
> My pen drive is a Data Traveler by Kingston. I used a tool from Dell to
> prepare/format the stick. Two different desktop computers can boot from it
> but not the Thinkpad X24. Could it still be a pen drive setup problem? I
> thought it has to be a thinkpad problem then.

I dunno.  I have a noname usb stick (16 MB jenco or some such, got it
free at a trade show).  It took me a while to get my x24 to boot off
of it.  as I recall the x24 would always reset the boot order when you
rebooted it so had to reset it to boot off usb in the bios before
trying it.  As I recall teh f12 menu was problematic.  try setting the
first boot device in the bios to usb. Also the bios refused to see the
stick at times depending on how I had written the image to it.  I wish
I could remember the the exact combo that I needed to get it to work.

Alex