[ltp] Noisy harddisk shutdown

Martin Spasov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 01:55:54 +0200

On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 05:53 +0100, Benjam=ED Villoslada wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 20:37:18 +0000, Jan Frey wrote:
> > What I meant is a really loud CLACK when hd goes completely down. It so=
unds
> > as if power was just taken away from the drive instead of telling it to
> > park heads and spin down...
>=20
> In my case when the hd goes completely down, the sound is different
> between APM and ACPI:
>=20
> - APM (and Windows): park head click and smooth spin off
> - ACPI: CLACK! ... the same sound in some forced system stops, pushing
> the power button.
>=20

Hi,

I can confirm this, happening with my FUJITSU MHT2040AH on a t42. This
shouldn't be a problem at all (or at least I hope), however I'll report
if I get something odd...

PS. Almost in every notebook documentation, there is stated that
'clack-clicking' is normal.
.
--=20
Martin Spasov <mspasov@techno-link.com>