[ltp] Thinkpads can not boot from flash drive?

Joel Ebel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:59:44 -0500

Did you look at the commands required to boot?  They are very simple,
and I don't believe that a USB mass storage class pen drive would
operate without them.  It needs INQUIRY, READ, REQUEST SENSE, TEST UNIT
READY, MODE SENSE, and READ CAPACITY.  If it doesn't conform to these,
then it probably isn't even a usb mass storage class device.  Not too
unlike my Sony Clie that can mount the memory stick as a drive, but not
without a special driver in windows.  The usb-storage module in linux
apparently supports it though.  My statement that any usb mass storage
class device that is read-write capable can be made bootable still
holds.  If your device is truly not bootable, it's probably not because
it doesn't follow a boot specification, but rather because it simply
doesn't follow the USB mass storage specification, and, unless they
worked with Microsoft, it should require a special driver to work in
Windows.  Perhaps there are some old/small/cheap pen drives that don't
follow the usb mass storage class spec, but I've never come across them.
  I've always purchased new/large/fast ones since it makes working on my
distribution a lot easier.

Joel