[ltp] xorg.conf file for T42p?

Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:12:35 -0500

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:59:14 -0500, Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> wrote:
> I'm running X 6.8.1 from X.org that I built myself (on my T42p). It
> runs fine at 1600x1200 and I'm very happy with it. But I had trouble
> getting it to drive a projector yesterday, my guess is because the
> projector wasn't prepared for 1600x1200. Reducing the resolution with
> xrandr didn't seem to help.
>
> Before I give my presentation on Friday :-), I thought I should see if
> I can fix this problem. I went looking to see what was in my xconf.org
> file, only to discover that I don't have one. Odd. I guess the server
> is just using detected values and defaults.
>
> Running Xorg --configure produces a file that doesn't include any
> resolution information and xorgconfig asks me a bunch of questions I
> don't have handy answers to while I'm on the road.
>
> Anyone have an appropriate xorg.conf file that they'd like to share?
> Preferably one that can easily be edited to switch between 1600x1200
> and something like 1024x768.

this comes down to what's driving the vga port.  mobile radeons have
two display controllers and they can either drive one head each or one
can drive both heads.  by default in 6.8.x, each controller drives one
head (clone).  to have the main controller drive both heads, add
Option mergedfb "false"
to your config.  if you want to use both of the controllers for
different resolutions on each head or a dualhead config, you'll need
to set up mergedfb.  take a look at the radeon man page for more info.

Alex