[ltp] xorg.conf file for T42p?

Donald B. Altman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:40:45 -0500

** Reply to message from Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> on Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:59:14 -0500

Hi Norm,

I'm running SuSE 9.1 on a T42p.  So, I still use XFree, but perhaps this
will help.

I've never been able to get the external port to reliably work using the
radeon driver.  For the external port I use the VESA framebuffer device.
This may be my problem since I'm  new to X stuff.

I've resorted to the kludge of having several XF86Config files and
swapping them via 1-liner scripts as needed.

The way I found to do so was:
1)  I have 2 entries in  grub's menu.lst.  The one for the external monitor
          sets the VESA FB resolution in hardware.  The radeon one works well without doing so.
2)  I boot to runlevel 3 and run the appropriate script (which copies the appropriate
          XF86Config into the /etc/X11 directory
3)  Then I "init 5" and log in again once X is up.
4)  Once I've got the proper XF86Config file, I just use the grub menu if I need to reboot.
4)  I wanted to automate this, but haven't found any difference in the
         processes running with and without the external monitor.

The whole procedure is ugly.  I chalk it up to being a rank amateur and
not having the time to really learn this stuff.  But it works and is reliable.
If you don't find anything better, I'll be glad to post the appropriate files.

Good luck.

Don A

--
Donald B. Altman