[ltp] Re: Re: Thinkpad battery exhausted in less than a year?

Theodore Ts'o linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:48:07 -0500

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 09:07:26PM +0100, Martin Gramatke wrote:
> Theodore Ts'o wrote:
>
> > Really, you're going to to be
> > better off just simply keeping the notebook plugged into the AC mains
> > as much as possible.
>
> Yes!
>
> > The following note that Jan Kokoska sent out a few months ago has some
> > helpful information...
>
> Thank you, that is indeed helpfull.

One other suggestion.  Instead of leaving the battery out of your
laptop, when you're at home, once your normal (travel) battery is
fully charged, pull it out and replace it with an older battery which
only has a limited amount of charge capacity left.  That way, you'll
still have protection in case your adapter accidentally gets pulled
out of the laptop, or you lose AC mains power, but you're keeping your
good battery cooler and will therefore prolong its life.

If you're really paranoid, I suppose you could purchase a second AC
adaptor (around $40) and get an external battery charger (around $100,
and this will allow you to charge two batteries at once) and charge
your batteries outside of the laptop.  This will prolong the life of
your batteries by some small margin --- probably not worth the cost
and inconvenience of using a separate, external battery charger, but
you'll have to be the judge of that.

						- Ted