[ltp] Re: Thinkpad battery exhausted in less than a year?

James McKenzie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:32:10 -0700

Marius Gedminas wrote:

>On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 09:54:12PM +0000, Hamie wrote:
>

>>Actually the battery DOES count cycles... I know Linux ACPI doesn't show
>>it, but if you boot under Windoze, you do see the cycle count. They
>>reckon about 300 cycles for Li-Ion batteries. And also about 3 years
>>from new to nearly dead. (Li-Ion are pretty consistent).
>>

>I used to unplug the power as soon as the battery was fully charged and
>plug it back when the battery was low.  After less than a year of this
>use, the battery became good for only ~10 minutes.  The battery stats
>utility on Windows showed 400 recharge cycles.  It was about 2 years
>since the manufacturing date.
>
>I bought a new battery and I'm now trying to keep the laptop plugged at
>all times.
>
>BTW the manual says that one cycle is counted when the battery is
>discharged and recharged for at least 80% of its capacity.

Unless you need a portable UPS, remove and store the battery.  I have
two batteries, which I switch out, and use both of them.  I have a
battery in the system because the power cord will disconnect at the most
inopportune times.

James McKenzie