[ltp] xorg.conf file for T42p?

Thu, 18 Nov 2004 04:53:56 +0100

It should be possible to automate this...

1) You don't need different X config files, because you can specify
several serverlayouts within one and then pick the appropriate layout by
giving the -layout parameter to X or give it through the
DefaultServerLayout parameter within the config itself.

2) X can be started with the -probeonly parameter (note that it will
switch terminals but not put up any display). Additionally you can make
it log to a specific file with -logfile and you can specify a config
file to use with -config. This gives you the ability to write a
bootscript that starts X in probeonly mode with an appropriate config
and save its log output to some temporary file. Your bootscript would
then analyse the generated logfile (look for the information provided by
DDC) and reconfigure your x config file as needed.

I didn't do this myself so far, but i did write a framework for
reconfiguring the X config (and other things) on my system. As soon as i
see any chance to get my Radeon 9000 PCI working i might dig into this
again.

André.