[ltp] what T42 ?

Francois Maltey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:59:42 +0100

Hello everybody !

I want to buy a T42 with a 15" screen :
I don't know if I'll buy a 1400x1050 or a 1600x1200 pixels.

Is one screen uses more the battery than the other ?
Is one screen has more dead pixels than the other ?
Is one is more robust than the other ?
Is the difference between both is really visible ?

Can I use theses two screen with linux ?
Is there problems to watch dvd ?
Is there a video card faster than the other ?

If I remain the restore partition and the most little windows partition
can I get 45 GB = 60 GB - 15 GB for Linux ?

I can buy only one of theses 3 thinkpad because I have a teacher rate
in French.

performance     1750 EUR : UPIE003 - UC23YFR  - 40 GO / 1400x1050
grafium         1830 EUR : UPIE23             - 60 GO / 1600x1200
top performance 1970 EUR : UPIE004 - UC2CXFR  - 80 GO / 1400x1050

If I buy the performance, then I will buy an other hard disk of 80/100 GB
for 200 EUR as soon as possible.
Can I install every laptop hard disk, or must I buy an IBM hard disk ?
What must I do for the internal IBM partition ?

On all theses laptop is a testing debian works << out of the box >> :

  with X11            ?
  the ethernet socket ?
  the wifi (b/g)      ?
  the modem           ?
  the acpi mode       ?

Do you have other advices to give me ?
I already read a lot of think about linux and T42, but I'm not sure
to understand all !

If there is a french reader, I will be very happy to know his advice !
Where he buys his laptop, and so...

Thanks a lot.

François, with a very poor english.