[ltp] what T42 ?

Steve Harris linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:10:45 +0000

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 03:59:42 +0100, Francois Maltey wrote:
> Hello everybody !
>
> I want to buy a T42 with a 15" screen :
> I don't know if I'll buy a 1400x1050 or a 1600x1200 pixels.
>
> Is one screen uses more the battery than the other ?

In general higher res screens use more power, but I dont know if it will
be significant. Battery life on the standard battery is pretty poor in my
experience (2 hours or so).

> Is one screen has more dead pixels than the other ?

Thats mostly down to luck, my 1400x has no dead pixels, but maybe it
wouldn't have at 1600x either.

> Is one is more robust than the other ?

No idea.

> Is the difference between both is really visible ?

Yes, but my last machine was a (16") Dell and at 1600x it was a bit of a
strain to read, I'd make very sure you can read a 1600x screen
comfortably before buying one.

1400x on a 15" screen is the highest I can use confortably.

> Can I use theses two screen with linux ?

yes.

> Is there problems to watch dvd ?

no.

[I dont use debian much, so this is partly guesswork]

> On all theses laptop is a testing debian works << out of the box >> :
>
>   with X11            ?
if you dont want 3d.

>   the ethernet socket ?
yes