[ltp] 802.11g NICS?

Michael Perry linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:38:17 -0800

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:55:14 -0500, Antiphon <antiphon99@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Michael Perry wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:51:08 +0100 (CET), Lenz Grimmer <lenz@grimmer.com> wrote:

> >>Hi!

> >>Not sure if this one works in the 600X as well, but my T42 now runs on the
> >>Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG card, using the ipw-2200 driver. Works great,
> >>including suspend/hibernate.
> >>
> >>Make sure to read http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~mjg59/thinkpad/wireless.html
> >>as well.
> >>
> >>Bye,
> >>        LenZ
> >>- --
> >

> > Hey Lenz!
> >
> > Long time, no see on a mailing list!
> >
> > I would also check out the compliancy list for the madwifi driver
> > since they support a whole bunch of atheros chipsets.  There is a wiki
> > somewhere and I cannot seem to find that url any longer that lists all
> > the cards supported.  I ended up having a few cards that work only
> > with Windows like the Linksys WPC54G which I use now with the Linuxant
> > driver and it works very well on my ThinkPad T23 with Debian unstable
> > and a 2.6.8.1 kernel.
> >

> I actually have one of those around the lab somewhere. How well does it
> work with power management?

On my ThinkPad T23 with ACPI it works pretty well with a few minor
changes to some ACPI scripts I wrote.  The main problem I had
initially was that the driverloader kernel module refused to allow the
system to suspend.  I fixed this pretty easily by including a stanza
in the script to turn off the card as I did lid suspends.  On my non
IBM Laptop doing APM, it works flawlessly with power management.  I
have a Dell Inspiron which cannot do ACPI and power management
suspends work perfectly with the card.

Note you can also use the ndiswrapper driver as well with the card.
I've not used ndiswrapper at all primarily because linuxant works so
well for me and their support email list is pretty handy these days
for reference points.

--
Michael Perry
meperry@gmail.com