[ltp] what T42 ?

Osho GG linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:07:33 -0800

On Thursday 18 November 2004 11:23 am, Satish Balay wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, George Yanos wrote:
> >     Steve> I dont use it, APM seems more relaible.
> >
> > acip works but it is flakey, I'm hoping fc3 works more reliably.
>
> The lasttime I tried ACPI on FC3 (T40) - it consumed quiet a bit of
> power in suspend mode - so I'm sticking with APM.
>
> Satish

I have been using ACPI on T42p with Suse 9.1 Pro with custom compiled kernel
(2.6.9). ACPI suspend and resume have been extremely reliable with very
little power drainage for S3. I can keep T42p suspend to RAM (S3) for
overnight with about 5% battery loss.

There were many things I learned while making this work - YMMV.

1. Make sure you use kernel 2.6.8.1 or later - this makes a big difference for
me.
2. Make sure that all usb modules *hci* are unloaded before suspend and
reloaded at resume.
3. If you run into issues with X not coming up or screwed up at resume, turn
3D rendering off. Make it work without 3D first and then look for
work-arounds to make it with 3D. In my case, I just disabled 3D.
4. Pass acpi_sleep=s3_bios to kernel parameters at the boot time - this helps
IBM machines.
5. If the wireless card's driver doesn't support power management, it may
needed to be unloaded/reloaded at suspend/resume respectively.

Suspend to disk also works reliably however I almost never use it because I
never have the need for it.

--
Osho