[ltp] Thinkpad 760XL - Locked Drive

Adam Southerland linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 12:29:39 +0000

>On Sun, 21 Nov 2004, Adam Southerland wrote:
>
> > A Friend has given me a drive he bought with a laptop. The drive is
>locked
> > (the ATA Specification of Locked - Firmware, not Laptop BIOS)
> >
> > Is there a way I can boot to the Floppy drive without it requesting the
> > harddrive password? (Currently it looks at the HD first and asks for a
> > password; even though the Floppy is set to boot first.)
> >
> > I have a utility that should be able to clear/remove the password if I
>can
> > get it to boot.
>
>How on earth did he wind up with a locked drive that's not from a hot
>laptop?

It may not be a hot drive... Could be someone setting the password and
forgetting, or something I have heard alot in the forums is the drive may
lock for no reason.

Last Week at an OBA (Legal) Conference I spoke with a representative of
Vogon (I think thts right) - Data Recovery and Computer forensiks (can't
spell right now (3 hrs sleep)) and this man displayed to me their recovery
of a locked harddrive took 10 minutes!  The  important thing is that the guy
said there are other applications out there that do this, but not in ten
minutes. (Not in those exact words)

----

I gave in trying to get it to boot on my laptop =)  -- Especially since the
security feature is mostly for laptops.... A note is that with another HD in
the laptop you can go in and set those passwords in the BIOS screen - Very
Cool! =)