[ltp] Wireless PCMCIA cards?

morpheus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 14:36:59 -0500

I have the built-in Atheros chipset on my T42p and though madwifi worked
like a charm at first, every time I upgrade the kernel the drivers
break, which means getting the latest CVS and recompiling, and hoping
the latest CVS works on your kernel.  I'm actually prevented from
installing kernel 2.6.9 because the madwifi drivers wouldn't compile,
and I tracked down several patches, none of which worked.  No offence to
the madwifi team, they do a great job considering Atheros is pretty
anti-Open Source (I hear) and they have to do a lot of reverse
engineering.
Anyway, I would suggest a chipset that is supported in the vanilla
kernel.  I have heard that orinoco and prism are, though others probably
know more about it than me.
-m