[ltp] Fedora Core 3 vs. Thinkpad X22 (2662-9BU) - reliable suspend/hibernate?

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:29:42 -0500

I recently upgraded to a Thinkpad X22 for a little speed boost over my
older Thinkpad, and installed the new Fedora Core 3.  Here are some notes
and questions:

Hardware support:
* Sound, DRI, and the built-in ethernet all work out-of-box.
* The modem (Lucent winmodem) works too, provided you compile the ltmodem
drivers yourself.  Luckily, the latest ltmodem drivers are easier to
compile than the older versions - you basically run two scripts and
install the generated RPM now.  It seems you have to manually insert
the lt_serial module now, but it works otherwise.
* No problems so far with PCMCIA, USB, or the compactflash slot.  Haven't
tried IR.

Power management:
* ACPI locks the machine hard on resume.
* APM won't suspend (it just beeps at me), but will hibernate.  I had
hibernation lock on me once while still on the BIOS screen (with the
progress bar), but it's worked otherwise.

Anyone have any experience here with getting reliable suspend/hibernate
support on an X22 running a 2.6.x kernel or on Fedora Core 3?  I haven't
had problems getting basic suspend to work on a Thinkpad since I had a
385XD and Redhat 7!

Would the ibm-acpi stuff discussed earlier on this list help me out?

Right now, I'm running an updated FC3 install with kernel 2.6.9-1.681_FC3.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/