AW: AW: AW: [ltp] new computer

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:10:01 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, morpheus wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 09:37 +0100, Meidinger Chris wrote:
> > Morpheus: my preferred way to do things is to image the complete hard drive
> > BEFORE i actually start the computer natively.

I do the same thing, if I have room for the image.  (If I don't, I MAKE
room!)

> BTW, is the restore partition a proprietary format?

On mine (T40), it isn't a partition.  The partition table is
malformed/proprietary (you pick); some kernels will read past the "end" of
the disk, some won't.

> Do you find that your drive image program handles all the partitions
> without problems?

Doesn't parse them.

> What image program do you use?

ssh, gzip on the remote end, cat.  Takes a long time to send multiple GB
over 100BT.

And we never failed to fail / It was the easiest thing to do -- CSN