AW: AW: AW: AW: [ltp] new computer

Meidinger Chris linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:39:12 +0100

> > On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 09:37 +0100, Meidinger Chris wrote:
> > > Morpheus: my preferred way to do things is to image the complete
> > > hard drive BEFORE i actually start the computer natively.
>
> I do the same thing, if I have room for the image.  (If I
> don't, I MAKE
> room!)
>
> > BTW, is the restore partition a proprietary format?
>
> On mine (T40), it isn't a partition.  The partition table is
> malformed/proprietary (you pick); some kernels will read past
> the "end" of the disk, some won't.

Again, cfdisk fixed this in a flash. With a fixed partition table, it's
readable as a partition. The great part is that you don't need the DRIVERS
and IBMTOOL and whatever else folders on any disk but the recovery
partition: when i need those programs or whatever, i just access the
recovery parition.

> > Do you find that your drive image program handles all the
> partitions
> > without problems?
>
> Doesn't parse them.

cfdisk worked right away presto on my t42p. partition magic was perfectly
friendly as well.

> > What image program do you use?
>
> ssh, gzip on the remote end, cat.  Takes a long time to send
> multiple GB over 100BT.

Netcat is way faster, unless you are sending over an unsecure link. When i
want to be tricky, i pipe the connections through gzip/gunzip (see commands
in previous mail) but usually i'm not in that much of a rush.