AW: AW: AW: AW: [ltp] new computer

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:56:48 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Meidinger Chris wrote:

> > > What image program do you use?
> >
> > ssh, gzip on the remote end, cat.  Takes a long time to send
> > multiple GB over 100BT.
>
> Netcat is way faster,

I don't see why, as long as you're counting the time taken to compress the
whole thing at the end.  Are you saying that all the context switches in
my method add up to a significant amount of time?  It's moot anyhow, as I
didn't have room for an uncompressed image (much less uncompressed PLUS
compressed images, as would happen near the end of the compression).

> When i want to be tricky, i pipe the connections through gzip/gunzip
> (see commands in previous mail) but usually i'm not in that much of a
> rush.

I don't know if that's faster.  The CPU in my laptop is a 1.4 GHz P4-M;
desktop has a 2 GHz Athlon.  I sent uncompressed data over an ssh
connection (no escape sequence), gzipped it, and wrote it to disk.  The
CPU on the desktop was maxed out but the network wasn't.  I think that
means the process was CPU-bound, not I/O-bound, and a faster CPU would've
helped (faster network wouldn't).  Conversely, a slower CPU would've hurt,
and the laptop's CPU is definitely slower.  Thus, if I'd done gzip on the
laptop, I would have had less net throughput.

Your situation may be different.

                Logic is a systematic method of coming to
                  the wrong conclusion with confidence.