[ltp] Q: HD active protection sys for Linux???

Nick Bower linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 25 Nov 2004 17:46:20 +0000

--=-qe4xZ8gM69c/3ZPcqFRs

This does not necessarily answer the question because it could be read
in a way that the APS driver is only required to be installed once for
activation, like region setting on a DVD player.  The mention of Linux
"pre-load", and not just a Linux post-install, would seem evidence for
this possbility.

So is anyone still convinced that APS is unavailable if you run windows
natively then switch to linux?  Afterall wouldn't it defeat the purpose
of having APS if it had to be activated everytime from a driver,
especially in a non-RTOS?

nick

I read the statement as meaning that the driver is loaded once
On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 20:27 +0100, Mikkel Haack Nielsen wrote:
> This is the answer I received when I asked IBM tech support in Denmark.
>=20
> <snip>
> The APS system will require  APS software to be installed on the=20
> computer before it activates the harddrive parking . This means it will=20
> not work on systems preloaded with Linux.
>=20
> Regards
> IBM Technical Support
> </snip>
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Psychogios Dimitris, Qualco wrote:
> > IBM hasn't released any technical details about it or even a driver...
> > so an educated guess is that probably you cannot control its behaviour =
(like you can in windows with the utility)... However I think it doesn't ha=
ve much to do with software anyway, so some basic functionality will be the=
re...