[ltp] FC3 update gotcha

Mendel Cooper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 27 Nov 2004 23:07:15 -0700 (MST)

Just found out something very interesting about FC3.

I did an "update" from FC2, rather than a fresh install on one of my
TP's. Well, first of all, an update takes about three times as long
as an equivalent install, I guess, because of all the extra dependency
checking, need for deleting old files and links, etc. Kind of a pain,
but no problem in itself.

The update went smoothly, and without error messages. But . . .
after updating and rebooting, I had an unbootable system. It seems
that the update script(s) left out one very important task -- fixing up
the /boot/grub/grub.conf file to reflect the new version numbers on the
kernel and initrd.

Had to do a manual fixup to get the thing to boot.
1) Boot with Knoppix CD (everyone should have one of these babies)
   to find out version numbers.

2) Boot by manually editing the grub command line to reflect new version
   numbers.

3) After boot, manually edit the /boot/grub/grub.conf file.

Just goes to show why a fresh, from scratch install is generally preferred
to an "update." But sometimes an update is better because your /usr
tree doesn't get wiped clean, and you don't have to go reinstalling and
reconfiguring your old installed packages.

Sigh. FC still has kinks to work out. I'm still grumbling about the sound.