[ltp] Re: Q: HD active protection sys for Linux???

Volker Braun linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 18:19:42 -0500

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 17:46:20 +0000, Nick Bower wrote:
> So is anyone still convinced that APS is unavailable if you run windows
> natively then switch to linux?  Afterall wouldn't it defeat the purpose of
> having APS if it had to be activated everytime from a driver, especially
> in a non-RTOS?

I think that RT capability is not necessary. Assuming WinXP's latency is
10ms, you only have time for 0.5mm of free-fall. Even an assumed worst
case of 100ms translates to just 5cm.

Personally, I do not think that the APS is all that useful. How do you
drop the computer while sitting in front of it? And if I drop the machine
and the screen cracks, the hdd might just as well break, too. You have
backups, don't you? Plus the extra mechanical stress from frequent
emergency parks.

On the other hand side, accessing the motion sensor would be cool. I can
think of a couple of uses, none involving the harddisk :-)

Best,
Volker