[ltp] Install linux/debian AND windows WITHOUT breaking IBM-rescue

Francois Maltey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 28 Nov 2004 21:28:10 +0100

Hello,

I send me first message 2 or 3 weeks ago,
and I buy a new T42P with a 1600x1200 pixels screen of 15"
and a 60 GB hard-disk.
Every thinks seem right.

The laptop boots without problem in windows XP professionnal
and IBM-rescue system.

Of corse I make the 7 rescue cdrom (1 for IBM and 6 for Windows)
and the rescue CD which boot the IBM rescue system.

Then I try to install the debian Sarge distribution.

I erase the windows partion (the number 1) of 55 GB
  create a new fat32 partion             (/dev/hda1 = 7 GB)
  create the linux root partition        (/dev/hda3 = 7 GB)
  create a logical partition for an other linux system (/dev/hda5 = 7 GB)
  create a swap partition                (/dev/hda6 = 1GB)
  create the home partition              (/dev/hda7 = 7 GB)
  create a data partition                (/dev/hda8 = 20 GB)

the IBM-rescue partition remains in /dev/hda2 at the physical end
of the disk, his type is 12 "Compaq diagnostic"

the fat32 partition is type b.

Then I put the grub loader in /dev/hda1, not in the MBR /dev/hda because
I don't want to crash the IBM rescue system.

After this, I can't boot on windows, of corse !
I erase the all windows partition.

The rescue CD helps me to reinstall
the system as it was in the factory.
The message tell me it DESTROYS all the partitions.

The first time this doesn't perfectly work, I must reboot, and
It takes about 2 or 3 hours, I insert all the CD.
And I get window in all the disk : there is no more linux partition.
At the end windows transform all the HD in fat 32 in a NTFS one.

How can I get AND linux AND a (very) little windows over this disk ?
I hope to keep the rescue partition.

Have a good day.

François