[ltp] Re: Q: HD active protection sys for Linux???

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:16:54 +1100

On 29 Nov 2004, Thomas Graham wrote:
> hmmmm, it seems only new series of IBM laptop got such protection
> system, I own Dell I8100 and HD are dead more than I could expected,
> APS system could help a lot ( I don't care about replace HD, but I DO
> CARE ABOUT MY DATA!!!!! )

If you care about your data, don't expect the hard disk APS system to
save you.

Implement backups, and make sure they work.  Test them twice before you
trust them.  Monitor them.

For the love of god, though, don't expect that a hard disk, no matter
how advance the "safety features" are, is going to be reliable enough to
actually protect you data.

I mean, really -- what if you accidentally delete the data?  What if a
virus does?  What if the APS system fails and the disk is damaged
anyway?

Heck, what if a truck runs over the laptop, or coffee gets into the
system while it runs, or the office burns down, or any of the other
physical disasters?

Personally, I got an A31p because I /could/ put a second hard disk in it
as a (Linux software) RAID1, because I /do/ care about my machine being
usable if the hard disk isn't.

I also have a strict backup system that ensures that even if both hard
disks are destroyed I lose as little as possible.

If your data is really important, don't expect a feature like APS to
protect it.

        Daniel
--
Ignorance breeds monsters to fill up the vacancies of the soul that are
unoccupied by the verities of knowledge.