[ltp] Re: Q: HD active protection sys for Linux???

Don Perley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 08:28:45 -0500

I see folks walking around with open thinkpads too... makes me cringe.

I also see a lot of folks with dead drives... mostly people who *don't*
carry them around opened.  I think the major factor is not enough
memory.  Everyone is running Notes which can be a real memory hog, as
can the mandated system security products. If you are running the
typical 256 MB it seems like every time you switch applications it takes
5 minutes of memory swapping.  Norton AV scan takes maybe 4 hours..
mostly swapping with whatever work you are trying to do.  Waking up from
suspend also seems to take more time swapping than restoring.  Anyhow,
the disk is thrashing all day so it gets an early death.