[ltp] T23 - various FIXES

Michael Perry linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 07:12:47 -0800

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 09:26:41 -0500, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 12:04:52 +0200, Marius Gedminas <mgedmin@b4net.lt> wrote:
>

> > On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 06:26:51PM -0500, Ian McIntosh wrote:
> > > Just thought people might benefit from some things I've learned about my
> > > thinkpad.  It is a T23 model 2647-9MU.
> > > - If you get a headache when looking at the LCD (and not other LCDs),
> > > try changing drivers (the DRI savage driver gives me headaches, the old
> > > savage driver doesn't).
> >
> > Does this mean that there's an open source driver for S3 SuperSavage
> > that supports 3D acceleration these days?  Is it included in a released
> > X.org X server or do you need to get it from CVS?
>
> 3D for all savages (well, savage 2000 not yet) and dualhead for mobile
> savages.  you'll need to use cvs.
> binary snapshots for xorg/mesa cvs are available (or will be soon,
> there was an interuption due to the recent break at fd.o -- see the
> snapshots section in the page below):
> http://dri.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/Download
> building instructions (if you'd rather build from source):
> http://dri.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/Building
>
> Alex

Just out of interest, I found this link to doing X.org in a
non-intrusive setting but you must "make world" which has always been
a rather interesting phenomenan at least for me to wait through.

http://incubator.vislab.usyd.edu.au/roller/page/Steve/20040909

Note that this is for Debian but many of the basic precepts probably
hold true for other distributions as well.

I've noted my own differences with the Xfree86 version and X.org
running on FreeBSD 5.3.  I cannot get 24 Bpp to work whatsoever on my
T23 with Xfree86.  The screen discolors and all the graphics look
skewed or wierd.  I know it works with X.org because I've installed
the latest FreeBSD on the laptop too and it works.  I have a T23 which
will run at 1024x768.

--
Michael Perry
meperry@gmail.com