[ltp] VOIP

Dale Amon linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:53:26 +0000

--CGDBiGfvSTbxKZlW

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 09:25:20AM -0500, morpheus wrote:
> > > Has anyone here had experience with Vonage or Broadvoice?
> > (snip)
> We use Vonage and the quality is so-so, though the price can't be beat.
> You will occasionally have to reset the adapter because it randomly
> loses the ability to send caller ID to the telephones.
> They sent us a Motorola router with VoIP adapter built-in, so we use the
> router as our router, and plug the phone port into one of our phone
> jacks, then wire all the phone jacks together in the basement so we have
> service to all the phone jacks in the house.
> The voice quality of domestic calls is mostly good, though occasionally
> you'll get dead air.  International calls are cheap but of very low
> quality with high time lag and very often getting dead air.  Also, they
> will sometimes lose their connection to certain countries for days
> before they're able to restore it.
> If you're willing to make compromises, you can save a lot of money.

I'm not clear how this would work for me yet. I
probably don't want to replace my service from NTL
since I get my UK phone and broadband on the same
cable.

What I'd like is to just use a hand set to appear as
if I am a US local caller when I have to deal with
my US clients. I beginning to think this won't work.
When at home I'd need this:

handset -> box -> my firewall -> over the Atlantic -> Vonage
and on to the phone system -> client

And how would it work when I am travelling in the US?

handset -> T22 -> box -> hotel firewall -> over the Atlantic the other
direction -> my firewall -> switch box -> my firewall -> again over
the Atlantic -> Vonage and on to the phone system -> client?

I'm not at all clear how this gets set up. I know I'm
thinking like H323 here with my own switch inside my
home LAN in Belfast and that doesn't quite sound like
how this work.

My home Linux firewall is not something I'd think I
could replicate with someone else's idea of a home
user's router... I've got FreeSwan tunnels, local DNS,
snort, etc, etc...

--=20
   Dale Amon     amon@islandone.org    +44-7802-188325
       International linux systems consultancy
     Hardware & software system design, security
    and networking, systems programming and Admin
	      "Have Laptop, Will Travel"

--CGDBiGfvSTbxKZlW

--CGDBiGfvSTbxKZlW--