[ltp] UPDATE - FC3 on an R32 (Sound and Wireless)

morpheus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:41:18 -0500

Hi,
As an update to my previous post, I now have both sound and wireless
working fine.  Here's what I did.

For wireless, I use a Linksys WPC54G PCMCIA card.  I uninstalled my
previous version of ndiswrapper, got the new source, compiled,
downloaded the linksys WinXP drivers, installed them and all is well.
BTW, the ndiswrapper project is truly great, it works as advertised and
is easy to install.
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net

As for sound, it was trickier...The standard snd-intel8x0 driver works,
but for some reason artsd was preventing me from booting.
Solution: disable artsd.  You can still play system notifications by
making these changes:
from KDE Control Center
+-Sound and Multimedia
+---Sound System
    UN-check "Enable the Sound System" (this disables artsd)
+---System Notifications
    Click "Player Settings"
    Check "Use External Player"
    Enter aplay in the input box
Aplay plays system notifications directly on the sound device without
going through artsd.  Even if you don't have problems with artsd,
disabling it and using aplay can save memory and CPU cycles.

For all other apps that need sound (mplayer, xmms, etc.), I select esd
(EsounD audio output) for my driver, and all works fine.

-m