Re[2]: [ltp] Install linux/debian AND windows WITHOUT breaking IBM-rescue

Oleg Sverdlov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 00:42:36 +0200

Hello Francois,

Yes, hda3.

Afterwards you will make windows boot linux. You'll need to transfer
one file from linux to windows, via USB key or FTP.

in Linux, after installing grub, read bootsector to file:

# dd if=/dev/hda3 bs=512 count=1 of=./bootsec.lnx
1+0 records in
1+0 records out

then transfer the file 'bootsec.lnx' to your windows drive C:

In windows:

c:\>attrib -R -S -H c:\boot.ini

Add following line at the end of boot.ini

      c:\bootsec.lnx="Linux"

change attributes back:

c:>attrib +R +S +H c:\boot.ini

Example of my c:\boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=5
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
c:\bootsec.lnx="Linux"

Got this technique from
http://orin.meinlschmidt.org/~znouza/doc/r51/

this actually worked for me, however I made Windows partition
14GB.

--
With best regards,
  Oleg Sverdlov