[ltp] UPDATE - FC3 on an R32 (Sound and Wireless)

Michelle Klein-Hass linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:52:23 -0800

On Monday 29 November 2004 08:50 am, morpheus wrote:
> Oh, I forgot to mention this:
> For some reason I can't play .ogg sound files, it just makes an
> incredibly annoying screeching sound from my speakers.
> I googled and found one or two mentions of this, but no solutions.  I
> tried re-installing libogg and libvorbis but no luck.
> I don't use .ogg files anyway, but it would be nice to fix this.
>
> Michelle Klein-Hass mentioned this same issue on her 600E last year on
> this list...Michelle, did you ever resolve it?

Heya...yes, we resolved the issue. OGG was never the issue, the issue was the
entire sound system.

Basically, you have to insmod the sound module after everything has loaded.
Including the GUI. Chad Page wrote me a script which does everything that
needs to be done.

When the 4Front guys got sound working on my 600e last year, I basically had
to su to root then run "soundon" before sound would work.

For some reason it doesn't work if it runs during startup. Go figure.

Oh yeah, you have to unmute aumixer too, manually.

Michelle
--
Michelle Klein-Hass
Box 2273, Van Nuys, CA 91404-2273