Thinkpad 600E sound (Re: [ltp] UPDATE - FC3 on an R32 (Sound and Wireless))

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:31:41 -0500

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:52:23 -0800
Michelle Klein-Hass <bosslady@msgeek.com> wrote:

> When the 4Front guys got sound working on my 600e last year, I basically
> had to su to root then run "soundon" before sound would work.
> For some reason it doesn't work if it runs during startup. Go figure.

Note necessarily true, unless 4front's drivers had different problems than
the kernel drivers.

Here's what IBM had to say on the subject:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-4BP6Q6.html

(Basically, the trick was to insert the sound module, remove it, then
insert it again.  After this, sound worked normally and you didn't have to
do this after X started.  This worked for me from Redhat 7 all the way
through Fedora Core 1 - when I changed to the X-series laptops that
used a different sound chip.  Tested on a 385XD, 770X/Z, 600/600E.  Never
tried ALSA on those beasts, though I may install Fedora Core 3 on my old
770Z to see how it goes.)

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/