[ltp] Serial port for a T40

William Stein linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 10:59:48 -0400

On Wednesday 29 September 2004 02:08 pm, Arno Willig wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 21:33, Joan Roig Amor=F3s wrote:
> > > does anybody have any experience connecting a GPS unit to a T40 runni=
ng
> > > linux? of course my T40 has no serial port, so... what is the
> > > best/cheapest way to add a serial port that will work also with linux?
> > > serial to USB? PCMCIA to serial (I see that cards  are ~$25 in ebay)?
> > > or should I wait for Xmas and buy myself a dock?

I have used GPS extensively with my T40 and T42 for navigation while
driving in cars on trips.  Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any
substantial mapping and navigation software for Linux that compares to
the programs available for Windows (e.g., MS Streets and Trips or
Street Atlas 2004).  Thus I install those programs under VMware, which
I'm running under Linux; I then connect the GPS device to VMware.  The
following remarks address my experience using=20

        VMware 4.5.2 with Win XP, Linux Kernel 2.6.8.1, Debian
        and both Thinkpad T40 and T42p.

1) I was *never* able to get the USB Earthmate GPS that I bought at
Staples for $120 to work with VMware.  It would either crash vmware or
the USB device would be detected but not "work".  When I used to boot
Windows directly (no VMware), the Earthmate USB GPS worked fine.

2) I was able to get the Garmin eTrek Vista with a Keyspan
(P/N:USA-19HS) serial-->USB adapter to work with VMware and either MS
Streets and Trips or Street Atlas 2004.  I was also able to use some
(relatively primitive) Linux GPS software.  There was nothing tricky
here, except to add the Keyspan USB adapter option when compiling the
linux kernel.

3) I was *not* able to get the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS with included
USB adapter to work with VMware, though it was detected as a USB
device.  It just didn't work, and I could get no debuging info
from windows or vmware that were helpful.

4) I was able to get the Garmin GPSMAP 60Cs with a serial adapter
to work, by connecting it to a Keyspan (P/N:USA-19HS) serial-->USB adapter.
I could then use it from VMware. =20

=2D- William