[ltp] Thinkpad 760XL w/ xorg-x11 in Gentoo WORKS!

Adam Southerland linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 01 Oct 2004 19:50:56 +0000

I figured I'd share this information for whatever its worth.

I've built Gentoo on my Thinkpad 760XL from stage 1 (7 days to bootstrap.sh
it!)
(Actually, after day 3, I setup aother PC [P233 w/MMX and 256MB of RAM -
nearly same Architecture] and installed Gentoo to a harddrive to put into my
laptop - took 2 days!)

I emerged xorg-x11 and finally started messing with the config file... Here
is the important part:
/etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "Monitor"
     Identifier "monitor"
     HorizSync 31.5 - 58.0
     VertRefresh 48-80
     Option "DPMS"    # Don't know if I need this line - probably not
EndSection
Section "Device"
    Identifier "trident"
    Driver "trident"
    VideoRam 2048  # I think it only has 1024, but 2048 gives me 800x600
resolution
    Option "CyberShadow" "True"
    Option "CyberStretch" "True"
    Option "ShadowFB" "True"
    Option "NoPciBurst" "True"
EndSection
End of file

Screen section is pretty generic - I just removed all but 800x600 and left
only 8/16 bit resolutions.

X-Windows does load with 800x600 currectly. I don't know the color depth yet
(i'm in TWM) and compiling takes forever on this box... lol emerge-webrsync
take 20-45 minutes alone! (maybe longer with X)

Adam Southerland (Micah)