[ltp] Re: Linux-Thinkpad digest, Vol 1 #632 - 27 msgs

James McKenzie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 01 Oct 2004 20:57:56 -0700

Morpheus:

I agree that avonics should not suffer from interference from a simple
PDA, but that's the story and the pilot is sticking to it.  I find it
quite interesting that no "phone" devices can be used in flight except
the one that is provided by the airline, and that service is quite
expensive (try about $6.50/min. for some services.)  I find it quite
interesting to get onboard, in coach, to find not just one person, but
several using cellular phones, when it is 'airline' policy that NO
cellular devices are to be utilized once you enter the cabin (FAA
regulations.)  Of course, it would take a weird set of events to cause
substantial interference with the radios on an aircraft.  I think that
the FAA is erring on the side of extreme safety.  However, I do have a
Dilbert cartoon where the PHB causes an aircraft to crash because he
incorrectly setup his Excel spreadsheet and decided to 'fix' it while in
flight.  That my friends would take some doing....

James McKenzie