[ltp] Re: Linux-Thinkpad digest, Vol 1 #632 - 27 msgs

Don Perley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 02 Oct 2004 10:17:31 -0400

The applicable rule on cell phones comes from the FCC, not the FAA.  If
you use (make a call, not just turned on) a cell phone at altitude, you
will tie up that channel in every cell for hundreds of miles.

As to electronic devices interfering with avionics, there was an article
in IEEE Spectrum in, I think, 1996 on the subject.  It cited an instance
of an FM receiver (passenger listening to football game) throwing one of
the instruments off by some signficant amount.  Confirmed by switching
the radio on and off a few times, and watching the needle swing back and
forth in synch.