[ltp] Re: Linux-Thinkpad digest, Vol 1 #632 - 27 msgs

Don Perley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 03 Oct 2004 10:36:35 -0400

>> Does this make sense to all you experts out there?  Am I finally off the
>> hook for my tragic "amps" error?

Sort of.. we now know that it was a limited scope study, with limited
scope conclusions.

Just an example of  unexpected things that can cause interference when
you get beyond simple tests..  There is a interference situation on a
local mountain top where the best guess is that the signal from an FM
radio station and that from a weather radio transmitter are combining in
a parasitic diode mixer formed by rusty bolts on a tower and spitting
out interference on a 3rd frequency nowhere near the other 2 (but
related by a common intermodulation relationship).

The moral of the story is that when  you get a cabin full of passengers
with gadgets spitting out various frequencies even at micro or milliwatt
levels, you can get results matching those used by the avionics front
end, intermediate frequency, local oscillator, etc.  Antenna cables and
other wires  go all over the plane  giving a  path to the cockpit.

If the end result is a problem with the avionics, it is not going to be
a time critical emergency if the plane is on a stable flight path.  On
take off or landing you don't have time to deal with it; hence the
typical announcement to keep your toys off until the plane gets to
10,000 feet.