[ltp] Updates on getting Recovery CDs for T41 + rapid restore ultra

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 04 Oct 2004 21:24:44 +1300

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 03:18, Jan Kokoska wrote:
> I consider a "violation of my human rights" to have to pay for OEM XP in
> the first place, when all I ordered was a laptop. I never used XP on it
> after the initial boot&wipe. Not accepting EULA didn't help either.
> Buying the hardware without M$ tax is not possible as far as I am aware
> of.

In the countries I have lived, the M$ license states that if I don't
accept it's provisions, I must remove their software from my machine and
return it for a full refund.

A number of people in the US have followed a careful series of steps and
won claims against M$-supplying-hardware-vendors for the retail price of
a copy of Windows.  The courts are swayed by:
1) Never once booting into the copy of Windows - you must wipe it
unused.
2) Documenting a polite series of attempts to get the vendor to honor
the license agreement - which they must after all or that country's
judicial system is a sham (did I mention be polite, though?).
3) Documenting the cost of a copy of the OS - particularly the cost the
vendor would charge for a copy.  If they say they only paid $xx for the
OS that you must buy at $XX retail, you must ask to buy 10 copies of the
OS at $xx, since that's what they value it at.  If they refuse, courts
(in the US, anyway) frown at them.

You need to check the license provisions in your country, and it's very
wise to check out the court requirements in your country as well.  Be
polite always - or expect to lose.  In the US, Small Claims Court is
very good for this - quick, accessible, inexpensive.

Google for this.  There are a number of well documented stories of
people doing this successfully.  You want to follow their advice.  It's
like Free Software - ethically it's right, but you have to do the work
yourself.

I didn't do this - I kept the Windows 2k on mine, but I don't use it
now.

Regards,
Bret