[ltp] Updates on getting Recovery CDs for T41 + rapid restore ultra

Ken Firestone linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 08:11:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, James Knott wrote:

   Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
   > On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 03:36, James Knott wrote:
   >
   > <snip>

   >>>That would be fine if it wasn't a "violation of applicable laws"
   >>
   >>I was wondering about that, but I also realize that people in other
   >>parts of the world have little problem in obtaining the CD.  For
   >>example, I only had to phone the support line, to have the CD for my R31
   >>mailed to me.  Is his problem due to "IBM" or some local management
   >>decision?  Why is he entitled to less, simply because he lives in (IIRC)
   >>Singapore?  The ideal solution, would be for IBM to make the ISO
   >>available on line, if they don't want to send out the CD.
   >

   > IBM can't.  The copyright for the Windows software on that CD is owned
   > by M$ (and they're welcome to it..).  IBM can only provide it (make
   > copies of it) according to the license M$ allows them, or the GPL has no
   > force either...

   IBM can check to make sure the disk is only used on specified hardware.

I just called IBM at the support number and they sent me the disks.

Ken Firestone, W3CAT     | For every problem there is one solution
kenf@speakeasy.net	 |  which is simple, neat, and wrong.
ken@firestone.net        |   -- H. L. Mencken