[ltp] Ubuntu Linux

Thu, 7 Oct 2004 19:03:34 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all, long time listener, first time caller.

I've been running Fedora Core 2 for a while, dual-booting with WinXP -
decided last night that it was time for the XP partition to go. It's been
replaced with the shiny new Ubuntu Linux, which on first examination
appears to be a bit of a winner. It's my first time using a Debian-based
distro, but so far I like what I see. Synaptic package manager is an
excellent tool, and as long as you're a Gnome fan (there's no KDE) the
choice of packages from the single cd shouldn't disappoint.

I'm using an R40e Thinkpad, and I didn't seem to have half the dramas that
I encountered when installing FC. For starters, it seems as though the
Broadcom ethernet drivers are now in the kernel, as it picked eth0 up
during install, grabbed DHCP, and has been running happily ever since
without any effort on my part. It doesn't seem to have spotted the modem,
however, although that's no great effort to resolve.

The only issue I have is that there is no kernel-source package on the cd,
nor on the online repository. Is anyone else running this distro, and have
any ideas as to whether it's available or not?

cheers,
ash.