[ltp] apm no longer works T40 Kernel 2.6.7 -> 2.6.8

T. Ivarsson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 08 Oct 2004 08:44:47 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: T D <oberoc@yahoo.com>

> Also please check that the apm and the acpi are not
> fighting. I saw that you have apci shut off on the
> boot line, but it has been my experience to take out
> as many variables as possible.

That's always a good troubleshooting technique... And this one solved it for me. What I did with the (Debian) 2.6.8 kernel was to recompile it without ACPI (just APM). And now I don't need the kernel parameters "acpi=off apm=on" anymore.

Something must have happened in the kernel in the way ACPI and APM exist together in 2.6.8.

Simon, if you cannot get the stock-kernel to APM suspend/resume, I think the Debian kernel team should be notified. So far both APM and ACPI have been in the kernel.

Let me know if you want my .config.

T.