[ltp] Serial port for a T40 (usb gps, gps software for linux)

Elliot F. linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 08 Oct 2004 13:33:00 -0700

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 10:59 -0400, William Stein wrote:

> I have used GPS extensively with my T40 and T42 for navigation while
> driving in cars on trips.  Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any
> substantial mapping and navigation software for Linux that compares to
> the programs available for Windows (e.g., MS Streets and Trips or
> Street Atlas 2004).  Thus I install those programs under VMware, which
> I'm running under Linux; I then connect the GPS device to VMware.  The
> following remarks address my experience using
>
>         VMware 4.5.2 with Win XP, Linux Kernel 2.6.8.1, Debian
>         and both Thinkpad T40 and T42p.
>
> 1) I was *never* able to get the USB Earthmate GPS that I bought at
> Staples for $120 to work with VMware.  It would either crash vmware or
> the USB device would be detected but not "work".  When I used to boot
> Windows directly (no VMware), the Earthmate USB GPS worked fine.

While it's not Linux software, routis worked/works pretty well under
wine (I use crossover office).  It speaks directions, makes decent
routes, and plays well with linux overall, without the overhead of
vmware.  The problem I had was using the same GPS for two app's at the
same time.  Any recommendations?  Such as a fake device that allows two
programs to read at the same time?

The same place that has routis has a decent usb gps receiver.  They
don't have the same one I have anymore, but it looks like they have a
newer model.  It works pretty well, doesn't require any power other than
usb.  I'm pretty happy with it.

Routis:  http://www.deluoelectronics.com/customer/product.php?
productid=2&cat=0

Routis under wine:  http://julian.coccia.com/article-43.html