[ltp] Power Saving Modes (was Problem with Acpi)

Matthias Posseldt linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:36:46 +0200

On Friday 08 October 2004 17:15, Jay Strauss wrote:
> > You can use it if the BIOS supports APM (the A30 does) and you
> > don't use ACPI. You can boot Linux with the kernel parameter
> > "noacpi" to disable ACPI.
> Can you send me your configuration, or recommend reading about how to
> set it up?

Actually, there is no such thing as configuration for the easy things.
Just make sure that the kernel doesn't try to use ACPI (boot with
noacpi boot option) and use APM. You can now use the "apm" program to
see battery information, Fn-F3 to switch off the backlight and Fn-F4 to
go to sleep. If sleeping doesn't work (some weird error beeps) you most
likely have to disable the PCMCIA driver.

For more information you should read the Power Management section of
your distribution's manual, e.g. to configure advanced features like
speedstep or APM scripts.

Regards,
Matthias
--
There is still the danger of EU software patents!

http://swpat.ffii.org/