[ltp] [newbie] pre desktop area

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 02:33:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, mamo wrote:

> I just received from my company a new ibm T40, with a new hard disk
> (the ibm one was a 40G, and they bought a not IBM 80G).

Congrats.  You have much more disk space than stock.

> So right now I do not have the pre desktop area on the hard disk.
> What I am losing?

The ability to restore XP to an as-shipped state.

> Could I have everything I have on the HPA if I can receive the
> recovery-cd from IBM?

I think so.  I've never dealt with the Recovery CD, but it _might_ restore
the HPA as well as hda1 if you use it.

> Should I work to recover it, or could I just modify bios setting to
> free-up that disk space?

Since it's gone, don't bother trying to make that 3-4 megabytes of disk
space inaccessible again.

          Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use?
          A: A purple Hayes.