[ltp] [newbie] pre desktop area

Joel Ebel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:03:39 -0400

The predesktop area contains six filesystems.  One contains the PC
Doctor Diagnostics for DOS, which you can download, and probably a later
version too.  The second contains the disk images to make a set of PC
Doctor Diagnostic floppies.  Also downloadable.  For what it's worth, PC
Doctor Diagnostics is crap.  I've had three problems requiring repair
that PC Doctor didn't detect.  Anyway, the next filesystem contains the
restore data for your computer.  Back to that in a second.  The fourth
contains the restore program, which I don't really know why they kept
separate.  The fifth is the rapid restore program.  If you ever want to
use rapid restore in windows, this filesystem is necessary.  I don't
know anyone who actually uses it though.  The last filesystem only has 2
files in it.  I think it may be responsible for the interface when you
first enter the predesktop area.

You don't really need the pre-desktop area on your hard drive unless you
want to to an easy full restore, or if you use rapid restore PC and need
to use the pre-desktop area's restore functionality with it.  The
diagnostics can be downloaded.

If you get restore cd's, it will be capable of restoring this
information almost identically.  You CAN run the restore process either
from the restore cd's or from the predesktop area that they create.
There could potentially be some differences between the restore data on
the cd and in the pre-desktop area.  Several programs in my predesktop
area were newer than what I got on the restore cd.  Thus, I wasn't
satisfied with just the restore cd.  I wanted to back up the predesktop
area as well.  There are instructions on how to back it up here:
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/access_ibm_en/hpa_aibm.pdf
You can create your own cd's of a backup of the hidden protected area so
if you ever want to restore it you can.  But, you can't restore the
windows partition from anything but the official restore cd's, or a
properly installed predesktop area.  If you really wanted to, you could
just make a ghost image of a fresh install form the hpa and back up that
too.

The restore program will only overwrite your first partition of the hard
drive with Windows, so if you keep Linux on hda2 and higher it won't be
touched.  But be prepared for the MBR to be overwritten.

Good luck,
Joel