[ltp] External display on battery ?

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 12:07:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, François Fleuret wrote:

> I tried today to use my T41p under linux with an external display, in
> that case a (very big) 1024x768 capable beamer. Basically I could have
> either the LCD alone, or the external display alone, but when I wanted
> both, the external image was degraded in a "analogical" way (i.e. very
> dark, with weird shadings and colors).
>
> Since I was on battery and connected on a long cable from the beamer
> (maybe 50m, no idea if there was an amplification), I now wonder if
> that could be the cause? Can it be possible that the power consumption
> is too high and I end up with a too low voltage (or whatever the
> correct electrical term) on the video output ?

With such a long cable, I would expect that its capacitance would be quite
high, maybe high enough to mess with your video circuitry.  Some kind of
repeater or amplifier might be in order on your end, or a shorter cable if
you can manage that.

Did the output on the beamer look OK, with no horizontal ghosting?

--
I firmly believed we should not march into Baghdad ...To occupy Iraq would
instantly shatter our coalition, turning the whole Arab world against us and