[ltp] Supend-To-Disk with Kernel 2.6.8.1 and ACPI-Patch- append resume

Ronald Hitz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 18 Oct 2004 18:40:04 +0200

--E39vaYmALEf/7YXx

Hi Niels,

I answer directly in the text ..

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 11:40:18AM +0200, Niels Stargardt wrote:
> Hi Ronald,
> just a few minutes before this email reached me, with a delay of 2 days. =
Looks like it hangs in the list. Anyway.
>=20
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 13:47:55 +0200
> Ronald Hitz <Ronald.Hitz@ivx.de> wrote:
>=20
> > Hi Niels,
> >=20
> > I try to answer some of Your questions:
> >=20
> > I have an IBM Thinkpad R40 (Centrino) 2722 5MG, 512 MB Ram
> > I'm using Debian sarge (snapshot from 2004-05-21) ./unstable
>=20
> That's great so we have nearly exactly the same configuration!
>=20
> > I'm starting to make the ACPI running. I used Kernel 2.6.8.1 with
> > the ACPI-Patch acpi-20040715-26-stable-release.diff.bz2 and compile
> > all power-management-features directly into the kernel.=3D20

just to clear things up:
http://acpi.sourceforgtte.net/download.html
directly from this side

> > First some information to the swap partition: /dev/hda2; size: 500
> > MB(so not large enough, because in former times I didn't know how
> > much it has=3D to be for hibernation), it's an primary partition.
>=20
> >From Swsusp2 I have the Information "The swap partition on your disk sho=
uld be at least 30% larger than your RAM." So this is the reason why  I cho=
ose 750MB, because I'm planning to give me notebook 512 MB RAM as you have.=
 But the size depends on the number of application you running and of the c=
ompression you use. But to be on the sure side I would recommend 1,5 of RAM=
=2E=20
> Today my SWAP-Partition is an primary partition too (dev/hda4).
>=20
> >=20
> >  Second information about the boot-sequence: I running
> >  WinXP-Proffesional
> >  on hda1 and using grub.=3D20
>=20
> Do you start both WinXP and Linux from grub or do you start grub from the=
 WinXP-Bootmanager. I'm nearly sure that this shouldn't make any difference=
s, but just to get a clean start for analysis.
>=20

I use only grub

>=20
> =20
> >  This is what I tried:
> >  I compiled a kernel with suspend-to-disk support, setting Default
> >  Resume
> >  Partition to /dev/hda2.
> >=20

This I tried first, when compiled only with the
acpi-20040715-26-stable-release.diff.bz2 patch

> >  I set computer into "suspend to disk" mode by
> >=20
> >  echo -4  > /proc/acpi/sleep; #SuspendToDisk
> >  on the root console by switching from X with Strg-Alt-F1 to
> >  console.
> >=20
> >  Every thing looks fine I got no error messages, the computer switch
> >  off.
> >  Than I try to restart the computer. I got no error-message too, but
> >  the computer starts the same way as before, ignoring the
> >  stored-memory-data completely. After this I had to format my
> >  Swap-Partition and "swapon" it.
> >  because there was just a swap-Partition in the /etc/fstab, but it
> >  couldn't be uesd.
> >=20
> >  I tried than to set some boot-parameters resume=3D/dev/hda2 in the
> >  grub-boot prompt, where You edit boot parameters. in the line
> >  beginning with "kernel"
> >=20
> >  kernel.
>=20
> And does it work or does it fails too?

It worked, but took  a while.
Main difference to suspend2 is the time. Suspend2 is faster.
(Closing the laptop  does not go.
It suspends, but didn't wake up again)

But, what I didn't talked about: I never tried Suspend to RAM, because
I'm fixed to solve just the suspend -to-disk problem first. It' s more
important to me.

I tried it just now, just for fun, with echo 3 >/proc/acpi/sleep:

First the screen blanks, then it comes back on the root console.
Nothing suspended.
It produces a failure- report from susp2 2.0.0.104., when I read dmesg.
It tells me, I should report the failure to developers of suspend2.

>=20
> >  __________________________
> > acpi-20040715-2.6.8.diff
> >  >Than I tried to patch the kernel with the swsusp2-patches
> >  >software-suspend-2.0.0.109-for-2.6.8.1. I patch the kernel with
> >  >
> >  ><for patchfile in ../software-suspend-2.0.0.109-for-2.6.8.1/*; do
> >  >patch>-p1 < $patchfile; done
> >=20
> >  >Unfortunately the kernel has than compile errors at suspend.c :-(
> >=20
> >  I experiened the same, then compiled software -suspend first,
> >  2.0.0.105 for-2.6.8.1-rev1, then software-suspend-core
> >  and then (!) acpi-patch-20040715-26-stable. that compiled clean
> >  yesterday.
>=20
> OK then I must see to get the version  "2.0.0.105 for-2.6.8.1-rev1" and "=
acpi-patch-20040715-26-stable" if it is not the same like "acpi-20040715-2.=
6.8.diff". But what do you mean you compiled software -suspend first then c=
ore and then acpi. Do you mean you patch the kernel in this order?
>=20

My failure in description.
acpi-20040715-26-stable-release.diff.bz2 # name of acpi-patch
software-suspend-2.0.0.105-for-2.6.8.1.tar.bz2 # name of
software-suspend patch tar-archive.

Inside the later is=20
20-software-suspend-linux-2.6.8.1-rev1-whole
30-software-suspend-core-2.0.0.104-whole
21-software-suspend-linux-2.6.8.1-rev2-incremental
31-software-suspend-core-2.0.0.105-incremental
21-software-suspend-linux-2.6.8.1-rev3-incremental

Here is software-suspend-linux-2.6.8.1 and the "core" I meant.
And a script called "apply" that does the patching for You.

To confuse things totally, in fact I applied not "105" but "104", but refer=
ing to
linux user 11/04 version 105 is stable. I'm compiled it ten minutes ago
and give it try after dinner.

> >  I switch off kernel option suspend-to-disk-support and tried only
> >  software-suspend2, which occurs now in kernel options.
> >  I compiled in the main things directly into kernel, because as
> >  module I would have to use the initrd and I don't know how.
> If you want to know how you could do this I found it out.
>=20
> >  I added the resume=3D/dev/hda2 option in grub boot menu as before,
> >  but with suspend2 this is obligatory( I'm not sure about that)
>=20
> I think if you use software-suspend2 you must use resume2=3D/dev/hda2, bu=
t I think it is obligatory.
>=20

Now I read over the kernel-config again and saw, there is an option,
where You set the default resume partition .=20
I did that. Then it isn't really necessesary to specify it in the boot
option for lilo or grub.

> >=20
> >  ___________
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >  At last I tried to compile the kernel with Software-Suspend. If I
> >  set the computer with
> >=20
> >  echo 4 > /proc/acpi/sleep
> >=20
> >  it starts stopping programs, and a new line in the middle of screen
> >  appears for writing the whole blabla to disk.
>=20
> >  What kind of infos do You need ?
>=20
> As you can see there are some little question, but for the moment I think=
 I should try your hints first using your config.
>=20
> >=20
> >  I include my kernel config when I had patched with acpi and
> >  software suspend to disk.
> >=20
> >  You can write in German if You like
> Well I thinks it's nicer to do it over the mailing list because than ever=
ybody can use it in the future.

d'accord !