[ltp] Suspend-To-Disk with kernel 2.6.8.1 and ACPI Patch - Summary

obi linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:13:25 -0700

Hello,

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 05:24:19PM +0200, Niels Stargardt wrote:
> Hi,
> after all this mails about my attempts to make suspend-to-disk running, I decided to make a new thread starting with a summary or better a description of the current state.
>
> I used kernel-2.6.8.1 and the following patches (installed in this order):
> 1. software-suspend-2.0.0.105-for-2.6.8.1 (don't 2.0.0.109)!
> 2. acpi-20040816-26-stable-release.diff
>
> I installed 1 with the apply script, choosing
> Apply KDB patches -> J (debugging always good)
> Apply Bootsplash patches -> N	(I don't use a bootsplash)
> Apply Win4Lin patches -> N (I don't use Win4Lin).
>
> I use the config from Ronald Hitz changing at cpufreq
> performance governor
> powersave governor
> compiled directly into the kernel, because by this I cpudyn works.
>
> Now suspend to mem works fine (after unloading the usb-modules). Sound with alsa doesn't work (but I think I could switch to oss - I don't know a reason why to change). I guess I have to install further debian-packages, but I don't know which.
> Suspend to disk works from command line, but X never come back.

I have a T41 and I've recently switched to 2.6.9 and finally the suspend
to disk in the kernel works. Is there anything in the kernel log or other
logs? I have a radeon chipset (M9) and a part from a loss of performance
after a suspend, everything else works fine. And for alsa, what do you
have in /proc/asound/cards?

> So for me there are the following questions left:
> 1. Could the different cpufreq - options be the reason for the X problem?

I'm using powernowd and X all the time. NO problem so far.

> 2. How could I figure out what the X-Problem is? I only can see a mouse, but the screen is black. Alt +F7 or Strg+Alt+F1 doesn't work, I have to switch the notebook off:-(

Can you see the mouse? I think you already tried to go back to console
(Alt+Ctrl+F1) and back to X. Have you tried to switch to console before
suspending and go back to X after?

graziano